View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Proscenium project could be closer then we thought.

http://www.abc4.com/news/local/story...5-04fe88b1c7c0

SANDY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - It's an idea that will change Sandy City's skyline forever. Three towers, one as high as 30 stories, are being proposed for the city's commercial area.

The Sandy Proscenium project would be built near 200 West and 10000 South.

"It was not something we had originally anticipated, but the more we looked at it and saw their presentation, the more exciting it became," said Sandy City Assistant City Administrator Scott Bond.

The proposed site of the Sandy Proscenium sits in a commercial zone that's ripe for development.

The first phase of development, during which the first tower will go up, is targeted for 2011.

The project will entail hotels, office space, condos and small shops.

Bond said, "Towards the back of the art walk is where the proposed Broadway-style theater would be along with a 500-seat smaller theater.”

Some small businesses already exist in the proposed site, and they like what's in store.

Dr. Brenden White, owner of Invision, said, "We're excited to be in the middle of it. I hope they can bring it together."

Of course there's some who like Sandy's skyline the way it is, not too obstructive.

“I almost would not like to see that in Sandy, maybe more in downtown where the high rise is and keep it more open this way,” said Sandy resident Peggy Savage.

But some have a different interpretation of the future view and what it means for the area.

"I think it’s great,” said Steve Linn, an optometrist who works across from the proposed site. “I think it will add a lot of businesses. Businesses will come here and people will come and enjoy the theater and shops.”

The planning commission will meet for its first site review of the project next week. Sandy’s building height restrictions will also have to be amended.
When I first heard about this project on the radio, and they said 10000 south, I thought they said 100S. For a moment I was very excited about this, but then I realized that was the location of the Salt Palace so they had to be talking about Sandy.
Oh well, I'm still excited about it, I think it will be great for the whole valley, I was just hoping for someting to fill in that big gap in the SLC skyline.