View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Originally it seems like the upper portions probably were exposed brown sandstone (Wallace stone?).

It's interesting how eclectic this building is. Pretty typical for the 1890's. It has a lot of different materials and a lot of ornamentation. There are at least two types of stone, some rusticated and some not, plus terracotta panels, plus brick.

It'll be interesting to see if the storefronts get restored to a uniform appearance.

Hopefully one day the Pacific Building will be restored too. I'm not sure how that works with degraded glazed terracotta panels though. Can the panels be fixed up or do they need to be replaced? Is it still economically feasible to do that?
Walked past the Green Lantern today and the restoration looks beautiful. The brick is really coming back to life. What I fear most about the Pacific Building is that the problems go so much deeper than just the crumbing facade. I've explored a bit through that building and it's infested with every bug/rodent under then sun, and just last month someone had scribbled a hand written note saying the basement(where the garbage room is located, and tennant enterance from Granville Street) is flooded with raw sewage, and has been all weekend with no cleanup from the management. It's going to take a lot of money to bring that building back to life.