View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 3:33 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I think that if ZGF worked on the plaza and the podium building into a unified design with retail or some other function, it could work. But spaces that are isolated from the street like that don't normally make ideal urban spaces, particularly if they are just open to the street. The elevations and plans depict a roughly 3-4' tall walled planter with 20' trees growing out of it, creating a separation from the widewalk. (pdf pgs 18-20) You could end up with a homeless population trying to sleep in the area, for one. Secondly, if it is not public, whats the point?

Small plazas like this usually need some sort of activity - usually retail - to active them and provide "eyes on the street."

---

Looking at the design PDF, on page 13 it looks like the plaza acts as a driveway to the garage, an entrance to the tower, and an open space that fronts the live/work units. Perhaps some of the live/work could run retail out of the units, although they would have no exposure. Cars will also probably use the space as a turnaround, much like the circle by the Marriott Residence Inn down in South Waterfront. I saw a tower in Vancouver BC that was kind of like that as well. [streetview linkie]

So, I don't know. I'm sure that the design and detailing of the plaza, including the materials, will be very high. But it seems awfully large for not really doing anything besides handling cars. And I guess I've answered my own question.

Here are the images from the ZGF pdf I'm talking about:

Site plan of the building - you can see the garage entrance on the east of the tower:

Southern elevation from the street:

Come to think of it, this design reminds me of the plaza in front of the Elizabeth in the Pearl. But they put a really cool restaurant building on the corner and the lovejoy columns on display.

Last edited by zilfondel; Nov 7, 2013 at 3:44 AM.