View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 10:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree. I think Halifax has a lot of advantages and could become one of the most desirable cities in Canada -- a place where people and businesses from across the country might regularly choose to locate just as they might choose to move to Toronto or Vancouver. Unfortunately that is not going to happen with high commercial tax rates, a lack of investment in the most productive parts of the city, and constant meddling from councillors.

As I mentioned in the other thread there's an attitude that none of the meddling really matters, and that it will all be sorted out, but that's not true. Councillors can torpedo new buildings but that creates waste and lowers the overall amount of new construction. As a result hundreds of jobs are not created, the tax base of the city grows less (so commercial taxes go up more), and it is harder for people and businesses to find space. This effect compounds year after year to the point where well-run cities leave the rest in the dust.

If you look at the downtown in particular it's obvious that a lot of the problems are the result of government meddling. Most of the empty lots are owned by the government or have become embroiled in government affairs or lengthy appeals (Nova Centre site, UG). The waterfront is government-controlled and sat as parking lots for decades while dozens of private lots nearby were developed.