View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 5:56 PM

It is interesting that people have been so negative on the Tysons redevelopment, specifically within the past 3 months. I attribute this to people having to drive through tysons (which I skirt around the bad parts daily on my commute). I think what people dont realize is the traffic situation has to be bad before things get better, otherwise if traffic was good there would be no incentive to improving it... now yes foresight is nice, but frankly the last opprotunity they had to do something like this in Tysons was back in the 80s and it would have seemed unnecessary to provide Metro and better transportation options to a place that was a second rate mall and a bunch of 1 story single use developments. Now that Tysons has actual commercial strength through non-retail companies it has the commuter draw to necessitate a metro system. I see the bad traffic as an incentive for all the people I know who live in Reston/Fairfax to one day get on a metro train to get to their job at Freddie Mac or Cityline or the other companies in Tysons by boarding at Wielhe or Vienna. Seems like it would be a better option than sitting on the tollroad or 66 for 45 minutes to go 6 miles. 10 years ago, commuting to Tysons wasn't that bad (relative to most of the beltway region), hence why putting a metro in would have hurt the entire metro system by adding unnecessary cost for a rarely used system. I'm still optimistic that corrected development allocation and connected transportation systems can make the region work.