View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 7:55 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
In general terms the high fares out of YHM are likely a sign the service is successful -- capacity discipline also contributes to it. At YHM you essentially have a Westjet monopoly as Swoop is owned by Westjet vs YKF where Westjet and Flair are in direct competition or YYZ where there is broad competition.

I'm a semi-regular flyer with Aeroplan tier status at AC. My regular airport is YQG. Fares out of YQG are extraordinarily high currently -- mainly due to limited competition (PD not flying) and capacity discipline on the part of both AC (currently 3x daily vs up to 8x daily pre-covid) and WS (less than daily currently). I am travelling to YVR in September - $330+ each way out of YQG, $133 each way out of YYZ. Of course there is always some pricing premium on AC out of the Ontario regional airports -- but more than double is unheard of (until now). I did YQG-YOW roundtrip with a 5 week advanced purchase in July and paid close to $500 r/t. Fares are high everywhere with demand up and capacity down. Even VIA's discount fare buckets in the Corridor are now frequently sold out (example, yesterday evening the walk-up fare in VIA1 between Toronto and Windsor was $259.
That makes sense too.

Did you fly often out of Detroit pre-pandemic? Hamilton's other challenge has been availability of cheaper flights from Buffalo, and I imagine Windsor suffers from that too during a "normal" time.