View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
The Marquam will only be removed if there is ever a massive earthquake that brings it down. I don't see it ever coming down voluntarily. Also, it would be a mistake for Portland to lose a major job center to replace it with "high quality urbanism." The Inner Eastside Industrial is a very active and healthy industrial park that should stay a well protected industrial park because of the amount of jobs it provides to those that live in the city. If anything, helping that grow would be better for the city.

Also, the cost of tunneling I-5, I would rather see that money go to putting in a subway system or a regional rail system that stretched out to outlying communities and towns.
Improving road infrastructure and public transportation don't have to be mutually exclusive. In Oslo we instituted a road tax and proceeds from that went to both roads and public transportation. We've tunneled a lot of main thoroughfares underground and build new roads. We've also build new subway lines, streetcars and railways. I can see such a model being useful for Portland as well.