View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Unbelievable. How fascinating it would be to somehow actually see those old streets and roads lined with Pepper and Eucalyptus Trees.
Are there ANY streets lined with Eucalyptus in Los Angeles? There certainly are such streets in Northern California, such as a stretch of a busy boulevard in Burlingame and a residential boulevard in Fresno. They are amazingly atmospheric and picturesque.
If I recall correctly a late friend's remark--he was from Santa Monica, and his father ran a florist shop which was patronized by William S. Hart, whom my friend saw--Santa Monica Blvd. used to be lined for some stretch with Eucalyptus way way back (1920s and earlier?).

Not in L.A., but over on Catalina: Up until quite recently indeed, the streets of Avalon were lined with Eucalyptus; but, despite their beauty and the pleasant scent of the trees, they had the drawback of always dropping litter and buckling the sidewalks. They even used to use hewed-off limbs from the Eucalyptus as the "poles" for their streetlights, very artistic and atmospheric in their irregularity, which I found delightful. Now they just have straight metal poles. :-(