View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Apparently, in the contract there are also 190 additional cars to be ordered for service expansion. It is believed that these will be used for the Red Line extension. However, since the compatibility requirement between the 5000-series and 7000-series was eliminated in this bid, the Red Line would end up with an incompatible fleet if they get the 190 additional 7000s.

Blue Line riders are probably hoping they don't get shorted again by getting hand-me-down 5000s from the Red Line and making the Red Line 100% 7000-series.

I would think the best solution would be for the Red Line to get the 5000s from the Pink and Green Lines, and converting the Pink and Green Lines to 7000s. The Pink and Green Lines have almost exactly enough cars needed for the Red Line extension, thus it would make sense for the Red Line to get the 5000s from both lines and convert the Pink and Green Lines to 7000s.
Red and Blue should get 7000s. They are the busiest lines and the two that tourists use the most. The 5000s will trickle-down to the other lines as the 7000s come in. That's my totally biased and uniformed opinion as a daily Red Line rider. Not that I really have any complaints about the 5000s... the seating doesn't bother me as much as it apparently bothers others...