View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
The pictures of the Fairfax/Olympic/San Vicente intersection were of interest to me, as my office is very close by. I am on the medical staff of Olympia Medical Center, formerly Midway Hospital.

Westside Hospital was interesting for two reasons: Marilyn Monroe was hospitalized there for "exhaustion" during the filming of "The Misfits"; and it was the first example of a laboratory/services company acquiring hospitals and running them as if they were franchise restaurants. This was done by "American Laboratories Inc" at the direction of its owner, who rejoiced in the name Uranus J. Appel. His first two hospitals were Westside, and Westlake Hospital (644 S. Alvarado, now a Yoshinoya Beef Bowl).

Can you confirm whether Westside H. occupied the Green Spray building? (As well as WH building additional structures to the North?) Not being familiar with Westside's inner-workings, was it equipped for performing major surgeries and trauma cases, or did it cater mostly toward a different type of care? The Marilyn connection is an interesting footnote. Was this common knowledge at the time so that other "troubled" celebrities sought sanctuary there (as opposed to other facilities)?

Another view of the same Olympic-Fairfax-San Vicente intersection.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/1408/rec/2

Answering my own question regarding what appeared to be small structures at the very top of pic. behind the garages. Looks like a white picket fence in front of which are different shaped shrubs. Is there a story behind how Green Spray got its name?

Last edited by Godzilla; Jul 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM.