View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 1:05 AM
Swink'sBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This post started out as a simple "then and now", but soon grew. This first picture is looking north up Western Avenue at 6th in 1924. The building on the far left is still there, and I'll return to it below.

USC Digital Library

A couple of years later and the new Pacific-Southwest Trust and Savings Bank branch on the northeast corner of Western and 6th is nearly finished.

USC Digital Library

The signs in the windows indicate that the Sixth & Western branch was still located at 3915 W 6th Street when this picture was taken. Above the entrance is a window advertising the Barnett System of Growing Hair - see below.

USC Digital Library

When it opened, the branch was filled with flowers.

USC Digital Library

I can't help wondering why they spent money carving the stone above the entrance when it was immediately covered by a large sign.

USC Digital Library

Aside from losing its entrance detail, the building is still looking pretty good.

GSV

Here's a better view of the building on the southwest corner of the intersection. It's part of the same 1927 set of photos that myself and GW posted pictures from a few pages ago. The first floor looks pretty rough nowadays, but above that it looks like most of the details remain.

USC Digital Library

I had a look for information on the Barnett System of Growing Hair. I found references in three City Directories, all at different addresses. The 1923 address puts them in the building I discussed in the picture above.

LAPL

I also came across this advert in a 1923 edition of the Berkeley Daily Gazette.

news.google.com
Oh, also I was walking around the neighborhood yesterday and noticed they had painted and put up new awnings on this building and the one next to it at Western and 6th Street. The buildings are now a grey with black and white trim and accents.