View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The Morse's Tea building is a perfect example of what can be done with a heritage building. Starfish Properties did a superb job of renovating this building. Baton Rouge is packed every day and the appearance of the building has huge impact at the entry point of downtown. Ironic how it is next door to a similar property that had to be torn down because renovating was impossible. The structures at Waterside may have had more challenges but the argument looks a bit weak when proof of renovation success thrives next door.
I have to agree; Morris Tea is an awesome example of what you can do when you put your heart and thought into it. I can't wait to come back and try out the restaurant when I'm home at the end of September.

I know some have said previously that this might be delayed because of Mr. Macrae being po'ed at some of the politics that's gone on. I don't know if that is true - it could be. But I don't believe that its really in his interest to do something like that. After all; he may own property else where that would require council approval to proceed. So doing something like that wouldn't exactly put him in the good books of those on council; although I don't think he's in many of their good books now.

I have to agree with empire though - that I'd like to see a heritage tax credit and I thought that was part of the heritage conservation district? Or am I thinking something else?

All this being said, I am trying to be patient about this and twisted. But I have to say that I'm slowly loosing my patience. Having waterside sit the way it is, doesn't inspire people to like downtown (the same with twisted). I'd like to see them both move forward. For me, if this time next year waterside is still sitting there like this - then there needs to be some serious a** kicking of Mr. Macrae going on. Besides, if 8 Avenue place here in Calgary can go ahead having 0 space leased until they had the outer shell completed (not the inner) and end up getting the building filled during the downtown, I'm sure Mr. Macrae can be innovative and do something similar.

Btw, Calgary's downtown office space vacancy right now is around 8% but is expected to sky rocket up to as high as 18% in the next 2 years as the Bow and Tower 2 of 8 Avenue place are finished (the 2nd tower was announced it was going forward a couple weeks ago and doesn't require any further approvals from the city since it was all approved at once, so they have started preparing the site).