View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Why can't the Industrial Canal be used to, you know, support industrial uses?

New Orleans' old standbys of oil and tourism will not be able to bring this city out of poverty. Neither will the bio-medical sector, despite all the hype (every other city is moving in the same direction; NOLA is decades behind the curve).

I'm pretty confident that the only way to generate stable job growth of well-paying jobs is through the manufacturing sector, so I'd like to see clean industries populating the Industrial Canal area. Not clean in the make-believe sense of "green jobs", but clean in the sense of "non-polluting". Milwaukee has launched a similar strategy for its Menomonee River Valley, and they've been really successful at luring businesses and jobs in.
I agree about using the industrial canal for industrial use, but NOLA does also need to diversify and bringing in biosciences is a step in the right direction. I also think that we need to attract more high tech companies as it has done well for cities like San Diego and Austin attracting those sectors. We need to keep the steady inflow of college grads and push UNO, LSUHSC and Tulane to keep it up and to keep attracting more people to the city. That was my little spiel on spurring economic development.

I also think the garage project is great and I've ridden down Freret street and really hope they can keep up the positive progress