View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 5:09 AM
ParanoidAndroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
^^^^^ That happens to be my favorite Chicago building. I'd get rid of the 'Unitran' building first.

There's certainly nothing special about the Unitrin building (I wondered what they paid the "Batman" people to keep the name visible in the movies??), but I think I'd still ditch the Donnelly building if given the choice. To pit them against one another, I'd have to admit that the Donnelly tower suffers from ambition. There's clearly an effort there, I just think it's misplaced. Whatever the....and I'm not sure what to call them..the 'bracing'? that runs horizontally every fifth floor or so, coupled with the vertical bands that bisect them...it just feels too busy and inelegant. The roof seems similarly incongruent, not so much with the building, but with the idea of a skyscraper.

To toss my hat in the contrarian ring, I have to say that I like the "General Growth" building on Wacker. Can anyone tell me what style of architecture it represents? It reminds me of a more successful version of the old Sun-Times building. Taking its river location into account, I'm especially fond of this building. To each his own, eh??