View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 5:36 AM
surely you agree with me

Towers would have been a disaster. We would sit here for ten years as proposals came and went. Selling 1/3 then bailing. One would get built and everyone would rejoice and say now finally the other three will happen. More will be proposed. And die.

The economics of smaller buildings are far more appropriate for Winnipeg's market. Has anyone noticed how many years SkyCity is taking? The artis tower will be the worst investment they have ever made. And that's with a substantial TIF subsidy.

If downtown Vancouver is a successful high rise neighbourhood, it is a rarity. I can give you a hundred examples of 6 storey neighbourhoods that are vibrant and healthy.

I think everyone needs to go down there and look at how big the site is. Yaletown is dozens of blocks. This site is the size of a Costco and a Superstore side by side.

There are so many reasons to do a mid rise neighbourhood. A few tower blocks would just be good for skyline postcards. Nothing else.

We need to move on from this idea that downtowns can only be skyscrapers. Most great urban neighbourhoods are not towers.