View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:51 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Those parking lots are on borrowed time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
There's a fine line between retaining the existing culture and gentrification. Both can be had at the same time, but it must be cautioned that gentrification (full blown), tends to kill the culture and steer it predominately towards one side. Its not heterogeneous in other words.

Brooklyn can grow, but it must not lose its character. The byproduct of growth is change, no doubt, but it can't be 0 to 100, where 100 is in favor of "X" side. What makes NY great is its melting pot nature. Without it, without the chaotic nature of the soup called life, the city would suck. Fortunate it is not the case.
Yes, I am not a fan of "gentrification" as a cure for all things, especially in a area that really didn't need a "cure". Downtown BK has always been vibrant by day, similar to how the financial district was once strictly vibrant by day, but now with residential growth has become more alive. You could use more of that in DT Brooklyn, but not at the cost of replacing existing character. In other words, there can be improvement without replacement.

Quote:
I think what he's referring to are the criminal elements.
Then I've got news, there are criminal elements all over the city, and yes on the streets of Midtown.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.