View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 7:29 AM
Hmm....

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
What you say may be true, but the question is, was your comment necessary? The first thing that popped into my head regarding your response was "Why say that?"

He is proud about his city's canopy, so why post about how it is simply average, in a context that contradicts how it is something to be loved? Roccerfeller, explained the uniqueness behind Winnipeg's Elm Canopy, and it is really something that we, as Winnipeggers can be proud of.

I have seen what other cities have to offer in terms of canopy, and you are right they are all beautiful, but I feel the same as Shinook in that Winnipeg's is somehow unique. It can't be explained.

Regina, Saskatoon, and Edmonton have beautiful Canopies as well. So do the other cities.

In terms of sheer size of Elm coverage though, no city is like Winnipeg, which has the largest urban population of mature Elms.
Probably didn't need to be said, but I mostly said it because it got me thinking that a lot of Canadian cities can be proud of their urban tree canopies, especially when some of those cities were developed on flat treeless parts of the country (Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, etc - don't know enough about the topography of Eastern Canada to know where it could be true there). And nowhere did I say it was average, just that many of us can be proud of our cities' canopies (as displayed by many of the photos in this thread).

And it makes sense that Winnipeg would have the largest stock of Elms, it was the largest city in western Canada during the era when the plantation of Elms was done almost exclusively of all other tree species. It makes for a great look, specifically for the reason they were planted, huge canopies with more minimal lower foliage, but also lead to the devastation of Eastern North America's similar canopies.

In any case, I didn't realize it would be so controversial to point out that it is something many of our cities got right... Similar to how when someone says that Halifax, Regina, Calgary, or Winnipeg (among others) have good/great skylines for cities of their size, someone usually says, "it's something that Canada in general does well". I'll keep my eye out for similar such comments in future and ensure they are pointed out as being insulting toward the city, whose original photo/comment sparked the extra discussion. I'll also avoid discussions about Winnipeg as apparently anything that is a shared quality or some similarity with other Canadian cities steals Winnipeg's thunder and is automatically a debbie downer comment. (This probably also didn't need to be said, but I'm not feeling pariticularly cordial after Shinook's little tantrum - here and through PM).

----

One quick question if I may though... Does the Manitoba gov't do much to take out and destroy infected trees surrounding Winnipeg? There was a bit of talk here a while ago that the RMs around Regina and Saskatoon aren't really getting much support from the province and so many trees are not being cleared out, making the odds of Dutch Elm Disease striking Stoon and Regina with more than just a few infected trees every year increase greatly. And it also makes me wonder if it's only a matter of time before the canopies of Western Canada also disappear.