View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 5:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree that the CBC replacement looks somewhat unattractive. I think the idea is workable but the design just looks poorly executed. In particular I dislike the design of the condo tower on top. The ground floor is also rather plain looking, although I think partly that is a problem with the site - this property is on an important corner but it's on the periphery of the downtown. It's a bit of a hike from Spring Garden and not a particularly great location for retail. It's never going to be a great location because it is surrounded on three sides by public spaces, two of which are semi-pointless. It's also a poor location for a main entrance because few people approach from that direction. It's really an awkward location. Halifax has a lot of those.

On the other hand, I do like the design of the portion where the current YMCA building sits, although I agree the atrium is a little messy looking.

I could see this being a great proposal with some modifications, and I suspect there will be lots of time for those changes before this is actually built...