View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 10:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There are two streets, a point, and a cove named after my Father's family (I believe it was my great-great-great grandfather who settled there, but not sure. I always thought my great grandfather was first but it recently came up and Dad said he was definitely born here, and probably his father too).

There is a field unofficially named after my mother's family, and three streets along the Southern Shore where they lived until my grandmother's generation moved to the city. One of Memorial University's residence buildings is named after a relative of my maternal grandmother (though not one that would've ever talked to her lol).

In both cases, other branches of the family (i.e. my great uncle's descendants) have things named after them in their hometowns on the island. Same names but I don't think that really counts as the same family?

None of this is unusual here. Most families here have things named after them in the areas where they first settled. In the capital, the norm is for street names to reference former Governors, leaders, etc. But everywhere else, most streets were named after the family that lived at the end of it.

For example, zero points for guessing where the Legges, Crockers, Chisletts, Holletts, Barters, and Dodges settled - and zero points for guessing which families had more than a dozen kids, and which only had a couple lol: