View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 2:30 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post

We can criticize the planning profession today as being know-it-alls, but it was far worse 40 or 50 years ago, when a handful of paternalistic city planners and politicians had the power to relocate entire neighbourhoods' worth of people, take their homes away via eminent domain, and indiscriminately bulldoze entire parts of the city, to fit some mid-century ideal of progress which was, at best, a mixed bag, and at worst deprived us of more neighbourhoods that could have looked like the above.
Ok, Im going to plug my work in progress 60's series on Builthalifax http://halifaxbloggers.ca/builthalif...ax-thinks-big/ It is my contention that developments that came about in the 60's were reactions to the industrial revolution. The Industrial City was dirty, and Crime ridden, the country wasen't, so introducing country into the city was the solution.

Its easy to blame planners, but alot of this stuff had support of community groups and business. look at the 1945 master plan. No Planners. 2 Architects, and the rest of the committee were citizens.

Also this isn't unique to Halifax. Montreal Did something simaler, Ottawa cleared a much larger Area - Lebreton Flats, and that sat vacant for 40+ years, Toronto built regent park

we all like pictures, so here are a few from the Coming Scotia Square post

Here's a view of the Cleared Area. I believe this was the original intended scope of the Scotia Square Developments, though the proposals variously expanded the area.

News Clipping under construction: