View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Hmmm. I don't find it too boring as the only building like this currently, but wouldn't want the whole street to be like this. It's a decent mid-block building, and I think healthy for the street. I do question its height a BIT. I generally like city blocks where corners are tall and the mid-block is slightly lower... I feel like it sets up a nice rhythm, and corners can handle more height where there are two or more streets providing a bit of breathing space. This currently isn't considered in the draft Centre Plan, but as long as they're making this a Development Agreement process, I can dream. LOL

It's certainly an improvement over what's there, but I would feel anxious about its proximity if I was back-yard adjacent. It looks to be significantly taller and closer than what's typical/existing, and I don't know that the columnar birches they say they'll use as buffers will do much to buffer second, third, fourth and fifth floors. Drawing sheet A05 wouldn't do much to sooth me if that was MY backyard.
Experienced that many years ago. Went from a sunny, private backyard to having a shaded yard with a wall of windows looking down on you. Aside from the loss of sun for your garden, it changes your enjoyment of your property forever due to the lack of privacy.

This type of thought is usually referred to as NIMBY in forums like this, but when you're on the receiving end it's not too pleasant. There are two sides to every story and for every win there is somebody on the losing end... and that is the end without the money or the power.