View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, Chicago is "familiar" if you're from Detroit, especially if you're an older millennial or above, that can remember the more densely built areas of Detroit before they went on a demolition spree 10-20 years ago.

This reminds me. I made the comparison between Detroit and Philly before, and I would also pair up Philly and Chicago.
Detroit is pretty overwhelmingly black, while Philly is not (78% to 42%). Philly and Chicago have relatively similar demographic breakdowns with Philly having a somewhat higher black population and slightly more Asians while Chicago is much more hispanic. I don't know if Philly looks all that much like Chicago but it definitely doesn't have much in common with Detroit from a built perspective. Philadelphia and Chicago have roughly similar drop offs from their mid-century population peaks while Detroit's population loss was way worse. Philly definitely isn't in Chicago's class in a lot of ways, but the comparison probably makes more sense to the extent you need to compare distant cities.