View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isangpogi View Post
The Ada County Highway District maintains a "road wizard" column which shows up weekly in the Statesman and is archived on http://www.achdidaho.org/Departments/PR/RoadWizard. Recently I was reviewing past articles and found this interesting one:

Dear Road Wizard: I was recently having a conversation with someone who said you can only make a left turn on a red light when you are on a one-way street, turning into a one-way street. The Idaho Driver’s Manual states on page 2-1: “When turning left into a one-way street, you may turn left after stopping (for a steady red light) and yielding to cross traffic except where posted otherwise.” I can’t find anything that says you are required to be on a one-way street. An example would be driving eastbound on River Street and turning left onto Capitol Boulevard. When Capitol has a green light, you get a red ball (not an arrow) and are on a two-way street going into a one-way street. Is it legal to turn after stopping and yielding to cross traffic and pedestrians?

[Response:]Yes, in Idaho you can make a left turn on a red light into a one-way street from a two-way street (and from one-way streets).

But this type of turn can only be done when the left-turn signal is a red circular signal. You aren’t allowed to make a left turn on a red when the signal is a red arrow – or if a sign prohibits it.

The red-arrow can be another source of confusion. The Idaho Driver’s Manual section you mention only refers to a “steady red light.” But Idaho Code (which the driver’s manual is based on) specifically states that you can’t turn on any red arrow, left or right. However, many people don’t realize that.

Because you have a red circular signal at your left on River Street at Capitol, you are legally allowed to make that left on a red. Oh, the freedom!

(http://www.achdidaho.org/Departments...s.aspx?MID=274)

After further research, I found Idaho is one of only five states which allow left turns like this. Since reading the article, I've been apprehensive to try the maneuver myself out of fear that I'll get ticketed by an unknowing officer. Of course the ticket would be dismissed but that would mean the hassle of appearing in court...
I believe the five states are all three of the Northwest states, Alaska, and one in the Midwest--maybe Michigan?

And I've made these turns for quite some time. Another possible location to do this would be on a few certain freeway ramps.