View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I added a little more info re the Cosmo Street scene in a P.S. to my last post on page 522. Google will give you a lot more.

"Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969" by William J. Mann, Penguin Books, 2001 and "Open Secret: Gay Hollywood, 1928-2000" by David Ehrenstein are full of info as is the delightful "Wisecracker: The Life and Times of William Haines, Hollywood's First Openly Gay Star", also by William Mann.
Best site to dig into: martinturnbull.com has a loong page of research "Hollywood Places" - where I dug up more than 40 30s to post WW2 L/G clubs/restaurant haunts.etc. In pursuit especially for "Pansy Craze" material in the 30s - I addnly scoured relevant dated Hollywood Reporters and Variety and Daily Variety over at the Margaret HerrickLibrary - these pieces now reside in newly created file at OneArchives - This is how I found out about the original Pansy emcee Jean Malin-- also do google a bucketload on Rae Bourbon's L.A. career-- breathtaking-- Lavender Los Angeles exhibit downtown in 2010 was largely researched by me as well- Our Arcadia Press tome is on the shelf at Vroman's for the overview- My special walking tour of preStonewall bars downtown was a hoot--that turned up some 24 spots...