View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
By "ha" do you mean hectare? Because that is just another unit of land area (1 acre ~= 0.4 hectares).

The acreage under cultivation doesn't seem to match output. For example Wikipedia says BC produced around 18 million L in 2015 and according to the wine growers' association NS produced about 4.5 million L in 2015. The output is about 1:4 while the land area is 1:20.

The production ratios closely match the provincial populations which is probably significant. I think the laws might have changed recently but it's historically been hard to sell wines across provincial borders. I'd guess that it's hard to sell from one wine producing province to another, easy to sell into your own province, and more competitive in the non-producing provinces. Such an environment would naturally cause Ontario to have much greater output, all else being equal. And it's a big challenge for producers in a small province like NS.
Sorry i was using Dencity's acres with Dr. Joe's circle chart and clearly missed the point of Dr Joe's chart.

Ignore my original post and just focus on my map.

Probably worth noting that Ontario wines, or BC for that matter, don't necessarily use grapes grown in Canada... and often don't, so tracking vineyard space and associating that with wine output doesn't even work.