View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:58 PM

Circles Building

I got this email from my neighborhood association:

Quote:
Meeting tonight regarding art moderne gem

Hello Preservation Advocates,
Tonight there will be a series of meetings regarding the historic 1947 Art Moderne Stewart Motors building. Built originally as a Studebaker dealership along North Central Avenue's Auto-Row the building was better known in recent years as Circles Discs and Tapes. The building has been purchased by a development company seeking to possible demolition some or all of the structure to build a residential tower.
The developer is having an open house tonight at 5:30 at the building (which is on the NW corner of McKinley & Central). The developer is slated to discuss which parts of the building they plan to demolish. At 6pm at the Native American Connections Urban Living 2 building (650 N 2nd Ave) there will be a community meeting to discuss the developers proposal and how the community should respond.
Next Monday, April 18th, there will be a follow up meeting at the Urban Living 2 (650 N 2nd Ave) building with the community and the development team. Thanks to our friends at the Roosevelt Action Association for setting this all up.

Schedule:
Monday, April 11th: 5:30pm. Developers show their proposal at Stewart Motors Building.
Monday, April 11th: 6pm. Community Discussion at Urban Living 2 (650 N 2nd Ave)
Monday, April 18th: 7pm. Community & Developer Discussion at Urban Living 2 (650 N 2nd Ave).

Here is a video of the construction of the building and its grand opening provided by local preservationist Michael Levine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWLqOTgp-U0

Please note: Demolition permits have been pulled! Legally the developer can knock the building over at any time. Action needs to be taken immediately to find a solution to preserve this gorgeous art moderne treasure.
Although I think preservationists in Phoenix have had a very positive impact on the historic districts (i.e. they prevented the I10 from going through the historic districts above ground). However, their characterization in this email is a little dramatic. It's also annoying that nothing is said or done as a building is sitting empty deteriorating, and the second a developer wants to do something they're all up in arms. Personally, I'm all in favor of saving the curved glass section and integrating that into a residential building.

I'd love to go to the meeting but I won't be able to. Anyone else going?