View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 1:18 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
I have been somewhat confused about these earmarks for UA. I read that article Feeno posted in the past, but have been hearing about Shelby's attempts to get another $30 million for UA in the latest Omnibus bill. From what I can gather, it looks like Shelby got $40 million for the Fourth Phase of the SEC in late 2009. He was trying to get another $30 million for that same final phase in the 2011 Omnibus Bill that Harry Reid withdrew. Thus, the fourth phase is mostly paid for, but that extra $30 million surely would have been appreciated by UA administration.

I wonder if a school is required to build a project once 40/70 of the project has been paid for? Even if the school says it cant afford selling bonds to finance the rest of the project? Does this put UA in a bind? I wonder if Shelby got more money overall for UA than AU, and if not, how was he able to be so blatantly pro UA?
If the school doesn't use the money, they just don't use it and it simply goes away, back to the Federal Government.

Senators get pork based on what people ask for. A senator doesn't just say "Hey!! I'm gonna get some money for UA!!" A big reason why UA has been getting more money is because of this Science and Engineering Complex. If it wasn't for the SEC then it's likely UA wouldn't be getting as much.

Shelby isn't blatantly pro UA, and he doesn't get more money for UA simply because he likes UA more. I mean, of course he does cause he went to school here, but he's actually been quite impartial. If you look at the projects that have been named after him across the state, it's obvious that it's not just UA he's been raking in the dough for.

Auburn has gotten a lot of money, as has USA, UAB, UAH, etc... All of the major research institutions in Alabama have some sort of project that has largely been funded by the pork he's brought home.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State