View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:17 PM

Southern Metro, Utah Valley University Pedestrian Bridge Opens

The new pedestrian bridge connecting Utah Valley University with the Utah Transit Authority’s FrontRunner Orem Central Station is pictured during its unveiling on Thursday, Jan.14, 2021.
Crews will continue putting the finishing touches on the bridge over the next few weeks, with an expected opening in early February. Laura Seitz, Deseret News

New pedestrian bridge will provide safety, save time for Utah Valley students - Deseret News - January 14, 2021 - Jason Lee Reporting: https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/1/...alley-students

OREM — For nearly three years, Oumar Traore has taken the long way around the I-15 freeway to get to class at Utah Valley University.

A junior majoring in information technology who lives just west of campus, his alternatives are to walk along a frontage road then proceed along heavily traveled University Parkway in Orem, or wait for sparsely scheduled buses, or to brave speeding traffic by dashing across the freeway to get to the other side.

Soon that commuting nightmare will be a thing of the past. On Thursday, the ribbon was cut on a new pedestrian bridge that will make getting to the main campus east of the freeway a whole lot easier and much faster, too...

Utah Valley University mascot Willy the Wolverine, left, President Astrid Tuminez and others celebrate the opening of the new pedestrian bridge connecting UVU with the Utah Transit Authority’s
FrontRunner Orem Central Station on Thursday, Jan.14, 2021. Crews will continue putting the finishing touches on the bridge over the next few weeks, with an expected opening in early February. Laura Seitz, Deseret News

...“I’m a commuter student. I actually come from Eagle Mountain across Utah Lake, so it’s a little bit of a drive for me to get here,” she explained. “Having the option of taking the FrontRunner (commuter rail) and just being able to cross the bridge and be on campus is going to be so great where I don’t have to fight traffic anymore.”

The new pedestrian bridge connects Utah Valley University with the Utah Transit Authority’s FrontRunner Orem Central Station. The $30.7 million bridge was built through a partnership with UVU, UTA, the Utah Department of Transportation, along with the city of Orem and the state Legislature. The high-tech span measures more than three football fields at 1,000 feet long and 15 feet wide, making it the largest pedestrian bridge in Utah.

“This bridge is a one-of-a-kind triumph,” Val Peterson, UVU vice president of finance and administration, said. “Its construction began with a question — how we can safely connect pedestrians on one side of our campus with the other — and the larger question of how to more easily connect the community with UVU? I believe we have done just that.”

The bridge was built using 15,000 square feet of heated concrete that will melt snow and ice in the cold weather months. It also has a full-coverage roof to provide shelter from the elements, an elevator, and the walkway is lined with 125 lights and 18 security cameras for added safety.

Construction was aided by using locally sourced materials to make the finished product.

“One of the interesting things that I found was the girders. The steel underneath the bridge was manufactured at a plant right off of Geneva Road,” said UDOT engineer David Gill. “We were able to go and tour that plant and see how they build those girders — the steel beams to construct the bridge. That was fascinating for me as an engineer.”...

Construction Timeline On 1,000-Foot UVU I-15 Pedestrian Bridge

Construction has begun on a 1,000-foot bridge that will span Interstate 15 to connect the campus of Utah Valley University with housing and a Utah Transit Authority FrontRunner station.

UVU officials said the joint project between UVU, UTA and the Utah Department of Transportation will help students who commute to the university and alleviate traffic on nearby roads.

“This bridge is a symbol of UVU’s commitment to sustainability, clean air, and reducing traffic,” said UVU President Astrid Tuminez. “We are grateful to the Utah Department of Transportation and the Utah Transit Authority for their vision, resources, and support of this project.”

The bridge will include a 15-foot wide walkway with heating elements for snow removal. Officials said the partially-enclosed walkway will have high-capacity elevators and stairs at each end and will have enough space for pedestrians and cyclists.

So far, just over $30 million has been contributed for the project — $4 million from UTA, $6 million from UVU and $20.7 million from UDOT.

I-15 will close for brief periods at night when crews place beams and set concrete. UDOT officials will give two-week advance notices before the closures.

Ground was broken on the bridge last fall with an original completion date of August 2020 — the latest report from UVU officials said the bridge is now scheduled to be completed in November 2020.

The 15-foot wide bridge will have space for cyclists and pedestrians. (UVU)

Bridging the Gap

By: Courtney McKinnon -
https://www.uvu.edu/news/2019/12/121...g_the_gap.html

Architecture preserves the values, culture, and worldview of those who create it. History and politics continue to echo through the halls of the Palace of Westminster. Patrons still visit the Colosseum. The Taj Mahal is the enduring symbol of a broken heart. And the pyramids of Giza have fascinated curious minds for millennia. What we choose to build reflects who we are and the world in which we want to live.

Clark Olsen, president of Utah Pacific Bridge & Steel, is leading construction the next architectural landmark in Utah County — the I-15 pedestrian bridge. It is unlikely to draw tourists, but Olsen says it is destined to be attractive and draw attention to the magnitude of Utah Valley University. With more than 100,000 cars passing under the bridge every day, Clark calls it “a game-changer.”

He says the most significant impact will be on UVU students, faculty, staff, and visiting community members. The vast expanses of steel now being carefully crafted, only a few miles from the construction site, will provide safety, shelter, and direct access to UVU’s campus. The bridge melds classroom buildings on the west of the freeway to those on the east. Commuters arriving at the UTA FrontRunner Orem Central Station and the thousands of students living on the west side of I-15 will also soon have the choice of walking to the main campus.

The bridge is meticulously designed to provide a seamless traveling experience. The 15-foot wide walkway will allow ample space for both pedestrians and cyclists. Each side will have a bicycle stairway for easy bike transportation. An overhead roof will protect travelers from Utah’s variable weather. Heating elements in the floor will clear away snow and ice. And the partially enclosed walkway is designed to give travelers a breathtaking view.

Building bridges has been Olsen’s specialty for the past 45 years. He’s designed, fabricated, transported, and built hundreds of structures across the western United States, and with good reason. The domestic steel used by his company is handled with exactness. It’s processed with blow torches to evaporate any moisture trapped inside. Then, the impure outer layer is removed to guarantee stable welding. Specialized machinery cuts the steel to size within 1/5,000 of an inch. It then goes through stress and ultrasonic testing. In recognition of the company’s care and precision, Utah Pacific Bridge & Steel has received several industry awards. “We are proud of what we do here,” Olsen said. “Our employees are artisans. They really care about the quality of their work, and it shows.”

Olsen has been involved in the planning and development of the pedestrian bridge for the past 20 months. His 45-acre worksite is full of steel girders, web plates, and welded flanges. Each piece is stamped with a unique serial number that is always visible. This ensures that everything is properly assembled, and identifies the mill, roll, and physical and chemical characteristics of the metal. Olsen expects the bridge to stand tall without any issues for more than 60 years.

There are human-made structures that predate written languages, like the Cairn of Barnenez. Some buildings capture history and preserve it, like Notre Dame. And on rare occasions, there are opportunities to embrace change and develop something new.

Utah Valley University has a reputation for building bridges that connect people and help them forge a path to the future. In 2020, please pardon our dust as we work to unite our campus and continue bridging gaps for the entire community.

A milestone was reached as a steel beam was set in place Tuesday on a much-anticipated pedestrian bridge at Utah Valley University. The bridge will cover the expanse of Union Pacific and FrontRunner train tracks and I-15.

“This is the longest pedestrian bridge that we are aware of in the state of Utah, with it being almost 1,100 feet in length, as well as being nearly 2 million tons of steel when you add the roof to it,” said Geoff Dupaix, the senior communications manager for UDOT Region 3. “That is the equivalent of about four to five freight engines put together, so that’s a lot of steel.” The bridge will provide a safe, direct route for UVU students and faculty traveling back and forth from housing, the Orem Intermodal UTA transportation Center, and the university’s west campus. Currently, the only pedestrian access is a sidewalk on the I-15 University Parkway interchange. “We think this is an amazing project for the university because it will link 8,000 beds which are located on the other side of the freeway, as well as 25 acres where we have our health professionals’ campus, with our main campus, and basically create a walkable campus which will create an integrated transportation system for the university,” said Val Peterson, vice president of Finance and Administration at Utah Valley University. But, he says, it will also benefit anyone in the community that enjoys the activities and events on the Orem Campus. “It creates a walkable community for our venues such as the UCCU Center where we play sports, where we hold multiple events for the community; it will also link in the Noorda Center with our performing arts, plays, concerts. You will be able to take FrontRunner to Utah Valley University and literally be able to walk over to our campus and attend those events.”...

... “Just having the conversation several years ago about what can be done to make things better over here?” Dupaix also said it is part of a larger conversation about the state. “It really started as a groundswell — just having these conversations from these various organizations, as well as a change of philosophy in how we do our business and how we try to keep people moving in Utah.” How they keep pedestrians “moving” above I-15 involves the creation of a state-of-the-art bridge. It includes a gentle curvature to avoid a “tunnel feeling,” elevators for ADA and bicycle access, extra-wide width, a covered roof with perforated sides for comfort, and a heated deck and roof. Those features allow for a comfortable two and a half to three-minute walk, but they also provide additional safety to pedestrians and the traffic below. “We take a lot of pride in making sure that what we build will hold up and last for decades to come. That is why we added features such as a rooftop to keep people out of the elements as well as heating the bridge deck itself so that you don’t have to worry about any ice or any type of snow accumulating on the bridge, because that not only makes it unsafe for pedestrians but also for the motorists who are driving underneath the bridge,” Dupaix said. An estimated 5,000-6,000 students will use the bridge daily when it opens. Still, the number could reach 20,000 in the future as an expansion of residential development, and the UVU campus occurs on the west side of I-15. Peterson said the project is forward-thinking...

By Lee Davidson for the Salt Lake Tribune @ https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...y-night/August 20,2020

To allow work on what will soon be Utah’s longest pedestrian bridge, Interstate 15 will close in both directions in Orem from Saturday at 10:30 p.m. to Sunday at 10 a.m.It will close between University Parkway and
800 North, and traffic will be detoured onto local roads during that time. The Utah Department of Transportation expects significant traffic delays during that time.The closure will allow pouring concrete for the walking surface of a
1,000 foot-long pedestrian bridge between the Utah Transit Authority’s Orem FrontRunner station and the Utah Valley University campus. The bridge will span not only I-15 but also College Drive and railroad tracks for both Union
Pacific and FrontRunner. Between 5,000 and 6,000 students are expected to use the bridge daily once it opens early next year.The Utah Department of Transportation says more than 50 truckloads of concrete will be used Saturday night —
enough to build a 6-foot-wide sidewalk nearly a mile and a half long (approximately 525 cubic yards).
Once complete, the bridge will weigh more than 5 million pounds, have a 15-foot-wide walking surface, and cross approximately 23 feet above the freeway. UDOT says the Utah Valley University Pedestrian Bridge is one of the most significant nonvehicle investments UDOT has ever made, and represents a collaborative effort between UDOT, UVU, and UTA.

(Francisco Kjolseth | The Salt Lake Tribune) UDOT gives a tour of the state’s new longest pedestrian bridge...

https://www.sltrib.com/resizer/zUH0k...ZXASMNGZYA.jpg

Kristin Murphy, Deseret News - https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/8/...he-imagination

Mark Lubaski, journeyman carpenter, works at the construction site of a pedestrian bridge crossing I-15 in Orem on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2020. The bridge is a collaborative effort between the Utah Department of Transportation, Utah Valley University and the Utah Transit Authority, to provide a safe walking and biking route for students, faculty and others. I-15 will close in both directions Saturday, Aug. 22, at 10:30 p.m. to Sunday, Aug. 23, at 10 a.m., as concrete is poured on the bridge. Kristin Murphy, Deseret News

Kristin Murphy, Deseret News

Last edited by delts145; Jan 15, 2021 at 2:40 PM.