View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The PAC cannot approve anything. They recommend to Council. In this case, they would be not recommending the staff report. It is Council's job to decide whether or not the PAC recommendation, or lack thereof, impacts their votes. The PAC is supposed to provide advice to council based on planning issues, not on resemblance to a toothbrush.

Council should also be considering the Heritage Advisory Committee's recommendation (or not), any public comments at the hearing, and any comments submitted by constituents to their respective councilors.
Exactly - these committees are advisory; council doesn't need to take their comments into account at all. Fortunately, the structure of the council presentation is to present the administration recommendation and then advise of the recommendations of the committees.

Here in Calgary - we'd have to present the Calgary Planning Commission's recommendation (whether we agree with it or not). I can't tell you how many times I or other staff members have had to bite our tongues presenting because we didn't agree with the recommendation - but such is life!

I'm sure the more level headed people on council will prevail. I wouldn't be surprised to see this vote go much the same was as UG towers.