View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
If the SF government took over whole sections of the city it's more likely they'd build community gardens than housing.
That's funny. I was working on research about urban agriculture with a professor of mine recently and pretty much told her I wasn't going any further with it. I just don't agree with it. Sure, they are a nice idea. If you have a yard, please, go for it. But I don't think cities like NYC should be purposively encouraging these farms on lots that could otherwise be developed. It makes no sense. They produce barely anything(most of them), they create semi-dead spots most of the time, and they produce very little of the social benefit supporters pretend they provide. Of course, as with anything in academia, race comes into the picture. The literature tries to paint the picture that black people "controlling" their food supply is one of the most important ways to get past the racist food supply system...or something. It all gets really silly the futher you get into it.

Just put the farms in the burbs if you must have farms as close to people as possible.