View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Hi all,

I have worked on several high rise buildings in South Africa where the use of PT cabling is very popular. In fact, having lived in SA for 5 years (I'm Scottish), I have worked on 4 high rise projects, and all have been PT.

There are several advantages over conventional slabs and the financial benefits are substantial. First of all, you require a lot less rebar than a conventional slab with very little top steel needed, and secondly you can release the formwork quickly, usually after 3 days when a compressive strength of 18MPa is reached. Ready mix companies here have all got a PT mix which reaches a high strength earlier and they guarantee 18MPa after 3 days.

I've yet to have a cable snap under normal conditions, although remedial work can be very time consuming and costly if they are accidentally cut. I've had a plumber core drill through one and an electrician cut a band of four with a grinder.

I'm assuming that PT cabling is not very common in the US?

When I was with the telco company at NorthWestern (hospital and university in Chicago/Evanston ) the facilities guys almost had a coronary when we were getting ready to core the floor - apparently they were afaid we were going to hit one of these new-fangled post tension things.

Would you have any photos of the actual tensioning ?