View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 7:28 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
1755 map:
I think at this time New Hampshire and Maine were a part of Massachusetts. Maine is just a tiny area and some of the territory between Maine and New Brunswick seems to be labelled as Abenaki. You can also see a few areas labelled "Mik maks". Gaspé was a part of Nova Scotia for a long time but Cape Breton was not since it was controlled by France long after Britain had taken over mainland NS.
Abenaki are a tribe of Indians. You can see a reference to them in the note that appears around the portage between the Chaudière and Kennebeck Rivers:

"Indian & French Rendez v[o]us. Extremely prop[e]r for a Fort, which w[o]u[l]d restrain the French & cub [curb?] the Abenakki I[n]dians."

Quote:
The English territory runs right up to the St. Lawrence. But I would guess there was French settlement on the south shore around Quebec City in this era? Maybe this border was aspirational.
That tended to be the case. If you were going to make a case for a border in a dispute-settling mechanism later, it wouldn't help if your side had previously produced maps that didn't identify the land as yours.

Quote:
The Saint John label is a bit confusing. Ft Saint John? P. St John?
Pt St John - Port of St. John. There is a bad scan stitch at that point.