View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:36 AM

Historic South Side 4-Plex Rehabilitation Project:
Source: Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation

The YNDC (Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation) is redeveloping a historic property in the Newport neighborhood on the South Side. It is located at 659 Clearmount Drive in a very endangered historic structure. (Click on the previous link to see what it looked like before the project began.) The YNDC is very good at fixing up properties all around the city - they are a major reason why the Idora neighborhood is experiencing a comeback. So far only preperation work has been done, but I am pretty excited to see what they do to this unique building.

Here is the exterior of the building as of today:

Mahoning Avenue Archway Lighting Completed:
Source: INPLACE
Yet another project from the INPLACE art grant given to YSU has been completed. This project added lighting to a rather bland railroad bridge over Mahoning Avenue. To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed - the project originally was supposed to beautify the bridge with more than just lights, but I don't think that is happening anymore. Sort of a shame since this is in such a prominent location.

Here is a photo of the lights. Ignore the bad photo quality, its the only photo I could find:

New Historic Information Boards and Sidewalk Poetry:
Five new historical information display boards will be installed throughout Youngstown. These locations are: Central Square, B&O Railroad Station, the Bicentennial Memorial, the Arms Family Museum, and Wick Park Pavilion. The boards will include: written history, photographs, and scannable QR Codes for additional information. The signs will cost around $1,100 each and will be payed for by Youngstown CityScape.

Lit Youngstown, a local literary arts group has been permitted to embed poetry onto four sidewalks within the city. The locations have not yet been decided, but at least one will be placed on the newly renovated Wick Avenue corridor in the YSU neighborhood.