View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

OLeander, just to warn you, that Ebay link will only work for a short time (it'll be a certain amount of time after the auction finishes). I found a slightly larger version of the same picture on Ebay a few weeks ago. I tweaked it a little to remove some of the patterning. The seller in your link describes it as "La Cienega Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 1930 Photograph".

Ebay
Sorry about that. I'm just learning about how to post pics here and seems that I need to learn about photo bucket. In any case, your version of the picture is FANTASTIC. This is just a few blocks from my home on Flores and First and I know the geography (view of the hills from this location, e.g.) pretty well. I'm pretty sure that is the intersection of Beverly and La Cienega Boulevards only because of other photos on this site have shown the same oil well in the middle of the street as being the one that is under (and behind on San Vicente Boulevard) today's Beverly Center. You can also see the same oil well just north on La Cienega in a photo posted earlier on this site where a woman is crossing the intersections of LaCienega and San Vicente Boulevards, near Blackburn Avenue and where Loehmans is today. In any case, I love pictures from my old Mid City West neighborhood. I've been anxious to see if there are any from Third Street, Crescent Heights. etc. Thanks again!