View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:28 AM
Detroiter4life

Savannah International Trade & Convention Center Expansion-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr

Savannah International Trade & Convention Center Expansion-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr
Convention center board remains optimistic for state funding
By Katie Nussbaum
Savannah Morning News February 14, 2019

Quote:
President and CEO of the Tourism Leadership Council, Michael Owens, who has been working as a go-between between the board and Governor Brian Kemp’s office, told the board on Wednesday during its monthly meeting, that he believes Kemp understands the importance of this project economically not only to Savannah and the local municipalities, but to the region and to the state.
″... I think we should keep in mind that it was a substantial ask of the state, but I think he feels very strongly about the project and I think we should all continue to trust in his decision making capacity,” Owens said.

The proposed expansion would double the exhibit hall space to 200,000 square-feet, add a 60-foot-wide hangar door, new entrance with an all-glass facade, outdoor space, a 40,000-square-foot ballroom, 15 meeting rooms and 900 parking spaces.

GIMTCA Chairman Mark Smith said members of the board met with representatives from the governor’s office during Savannah/Chatham Day last month, and supplied requested additional information about the project, such as economic data, return on investment data and a construction funding timing.

“I think they are really supportive of the project and I think they understand the economics of it and the economic impact potential,” Smith said
https://www.savannahnow.com/business...-state-funding