View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 8:02 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Exactly. He's a gimmicky pop artist, not an architect. Art is open to interpretation, while buildings must relate to the site and address not only their surroundings, but also its interior function. Neither seem to be addressed here. Deconstructed, destroyed imagery of randomly piled boxes is wildly inappropriate at the site of such tragic destruction, and such massing seems really awkward for a building that requires a single large auditorium space. At least Calatrava created a harmonious, dignified public building for the site, unlike Gehry's amateur attempts.

You really think that of this project? I actually think this is one of his more substantially compelling works. I really find the network of cozy, terraced green spaces along the building a really beautiful gesture. Could you imagine how much fun it would be to explore the building by discovering all of those fun little intimate spaces? It's much more spatial than Beekman, or MIT, or Millenium Park.

I mean, I can understand how one doesn't like Gehry, but he left a huge impact on the trade and really stands against all of the artistic pretense that many accuse him of.