View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I agree that it'd be ideal for cultural institutions to be free, as they are in much of Europe. However, that would require far more government financial support. It's not the Discovery Centre's fault they have to charge admission; they couldn't exist without it. Nor could the AGNS or any of our museums and cultural institutions. It's not like they're saying, "Screw you, poor families." It's the reality of operating such a facility in Canada.

And if they did receive enough government support to go without admission, we'd have to listen to Keith et. al. decrying the government handouts, etc. So I don't know what you're suggesting they do. Shut down because they may be too expensive for a small percentage of the population?
What I'm suggesting is that the Discovery centre should do what they can with what they can fundraise, (shouldn't be hard with the number of high wage supporters that they have) and from what they raise on admission. I'm also suggesting that the province use that $6,000,000 to help low income families, that struggle with basic needs.