View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I am surprised that construction isn't already underway. The Board of Directors seem to be taking a very cautious approach by having most of the funding arranged before proceeding. It is hard to argue with that approach but I wonder if the owners of 1595 Barrington Street (the current Discovery Centre location) aren't getting impatient?
Why wouldn't they drag their feet? They've been doing it for years; and when their lease was up, Ghosn (landlord at current location) was working to provide the DC with temporary space elsewhere until new location built. But no, all of HRM council and staff basically pistol whipped Ghosn into allowing an extension-- and most SSPers supported this allowance too-- which is also holding up his residential development on a primary downtown location. With all the current Barrington development happening, would have been great for this one to be going too, so the congestion pain would not be spread out over more years than necessary.

I stand by my previous position: extension should not have been granted. They'll drag their feet forever. Had they been moved to a temporary location elsewhere, there would have been much stronger incentives to develop and complete the new location. Instead, here we are, months later, and nothing is happening. Who is surprised?