View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I would say most cities in Canada would complain that other municipalities/regions throughout the province get too much, while the cities don't get enough.
Maybe, but then, I have the data (above) to prove it. Halifax has been starved of investment. It's irresponsible and stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Disagree.
The Liberals won because of Trudeaumania. The NDP didn't take Halifax for granted so much that people would have switched their vote for a party that wasn't promising change anyway.
The Liberals won because of celebrity power.
I think it was too much of a complete and total landslide victory, to attribute it to Trudeau. And he only came twice.

Look, I had high hopes for the NDP, but they turned out to be a complete and total let down.

I honestly can't think of anything they did for Halifax, other than contributing to the library and Nova Centre.

In fact, I found they were pretty anti-Halifax. They shipped government jobs out of town, which made no sense because no civil servants agreed to go anyways, which meant you had to re-train new workers for jobs out of town and also find different jobs for public servants around Halifax, for which they were properly less fit for, and also having to re-train, making everything more costly and less efficient. They also dragged their feet on pretty much every change to the city charter that HRM requested; took them like 5 years to pass some simple density bonusing amendments, FFS.

And, finally, they gutted university funding more so than any other provincial government in recent memory. 4% cuts initially, then 3% year over year.

Ask anyone who works in venture capital, R&D, or innovation sector in Nova Scotia / Halifax. The only game in town (or in province) are universities. They're the only places innovating, often creating new spin off companies and jobs, thus retaining a few of the skilled young people we lose every year, and the NDP gutted universties year over year.

Meanwhile, NDP did nothing on youth hiring and just kept throwing money at healthcare, which is the real money sucker in this province; promised to keep the 42 or whatever health authorities across the province, each with their own costly CEO. Universities (who collective receive approx $310m a year) are a drop in the bucket compared to healthcare which costs $4.5 billion, over half of our budget: http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...ealth-spending

Not even the Tories under John Hamm cut university funding; they actually increased it. What was Dexter thinking?! I know what he was thinking; he assumed Halifax and university students were "in the bag". HRM has been an NDP stronghold for over a decade. He took it all for granted. And paid for it.

Anyways, I've hijacked this thread.

Last edited by counterfactual; Jan 22, 2014 at 6:38 AM.