View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:19 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Phoenix has a pretty strong tradition of cool, modern libraries. The City has done a very nice job on its recent branch libraries. While nothing in this post is as grand or ornate as most of this thread I hope it can be appreciated on its own merits.

Phoenix, AZ- Burton Barr Central Library

Librarything.com

Flickr

(Flickr)
The north window has these sails on the outside that move to control how much light is let in on a hot day, it also provides a nice view of Midtown PHX

Wandering Book Artists Blog

(my photos)

(Flickr)

These supports that hold up the roof light up like candles on the summer solstice, its very cool.

(Flickr)
"The Crystal Canyon" is the main all glass elevator section of the middle of the building.

Phoenix- Desert Broom Branch Library

(all photos of this library from Flickr)

(the interior isn't as exciting, its just a small branch library, but I figured I should include one interior)

Phoenix- Cesar Chavez Branch Library

LibraryJournal.com

Metropolis Mag.com

MasonContractors.com

Masonrysystems.org

AECCafe.com

Scottsdale, AZ- Arabian Branch Library

(Flickr)

(Fickr)

This is the entrance! This library takes the typical library entrance; big, ornate, grand and turns it on its head. The entrance is almost hidden and you work your way through a shady man made slot canyon as you go into the library. I don't think this technique would work for a main Central Library but for this little branch library its a lot of fun.

(Flickr)

(Flickr)

(Flickr)

(Flickr)
This is the kids reading area

(Flickr)

(Flickr)

(Flickr)

(Flickr)

Hope you've enjoyed this mini tour of Modern Desert Library Architecture.