View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 4:09 PM

The Rose City: Portland

After spending four days exploring Seattle earlier this spring (photo thread here), I hopped on Amtrak at Seattle’s King Street station and headed south to Portland. Despite the thread title, I didn't get any photos of roses. While I’d previously spent a very brief day & a half in Seattle in the late fall of 2006, I’d never been to Portland. Rather than taking the Cascades train, I actually took the Coast Starlight as the timing of departure was more convenient. While it was slightly slower than Cascades trains, it was still a worthwhile trip. I arrived in Portland early Sunday afternoon, quickly went to my hotel to drop my bags off, and proceeded to promptly start walking through downtown toward Northwest Portland.

Near Portland State University. I like this area with its many trees, the streetcar, and especially the presumably older highrises updated to reflect design aesthetics popular to the Pacific Northwest. I’d love to see some of Chicago’s old ugly lakefront highrises built in the 60s updated as well.

Making my way into Northwest Portland

Heading from Northwest Portland into the Pearl District. Uh oh, looks like someone wasn’t paying attention to the road while driving.

The sun finally made an off & on appearance on Tuesday, which was my last full day in Portland. Unfortunately it rained non-stop the previous day, which prevented me from being able to photograph areas east of the Willamette. I had planned on spending the entire day on that side of the river, but there wasn’t a dry moment from sunrise to sunset. Since I finally had some sunshine, I opted to walk around downtown and check out the South Waterfront.

Down in the South Waterfront area.

Onto the campus of Portland State University

I had pizza all three days in Portland… twice from Hotlips. It was pretty good!

The all day rain event on Monday put a damper on my intentions for a much more neighborhood intensive photo tour since it had been my intention to spend the entire day wandering around neighborhoods east of the Willamette. Hopefully I’ll be able to check out those areas, as well as North Portland, and some of the main suburbs connected by MAX light rail, whenever I’m able to make it back to Portland for another visit.