View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 4:46 PM

In the Herald today:
Quote:
Don’t read too much into downtown library repairs
Building’s future still up in the air
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Tue. Jul 29 - 11:42 AM

More than a quarter of a million dollars is going into the old Spring Garden Road library, just as plans for a new flagship branch are about to be debated at Halifax city hall.

Scaffolding is already in place for the work, which involves restoring stone cladding on the 57-year-old building’s exterior.

The work is important, says Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown), because the building is worth saving.

"It’s still an asset and we still have to maintain it," Ms. Sloane said Monday.

"And if we go to sell it or reuse it in the future, we would probably have to do the work anyway."

The city doesn’t know what it will do if the library moves across the street to a new location on the old Halifax Infirmary site, she said.

"That’s the $64,000 question. I don’t know what we’re going to use it for, but I personally would like to see it as a civic museum."

Many of the city’s artifacts — like handwritten police reports from the night of the Halifax Explosion and a rolltop desk that belonged to former newspaper editor and premier Joseph Howe — are now housed in a Burnside warehouse.

"I think a civic museum is needed downtown, and it just makes sense — it’s even in the monument district," she said, referring to HRM By Design’s recent classification of several downtown precincts.

But many of the merchants along Spring Garden Road would like to see their pedestrian shopping mall extended across Brunswick Street, the executive director of the street’s merchants association said Monday.

"One of the things that the downtown people would like to see is to make that (old library) building retail," Bernie Smith said in an interview Monday.

And while the building could legally be torn down because it’s not a registered heritage property, Mr. Smith would like to see the edifice stay.

"I don’t think the public would stand for that building being demolished," he said of the city landmark. "And I’m on their side."

Over the years, stores like H&M clothing and Chapters books have expressed an interest in the building.

A retail giant like that could work in the 38,000-square-foot building, Mr. Smith said.

The Spring Garden Road library was built in 1951 and enlarged in the early ’70s. Water leaks and mould have increased maintenance needs in recent years, prompting council to talk about a replacement for almost two decades.

"The building has some issues, there’s no doubt about that, but if we could find a user with deep pockets . . . then the problems of the building become less significant," Mr. Smith said.

"And the fact that the exterior cladding has been replaced and repaired where necessary will be taken into account, so hopefully the city will recoup its investment."

Next Tuesday, regional council will continue its debate on plans for a new library.

After months of public consultation, the decision about a proposed new library — housing dozens of computers, a vastly expanded collection, extra seating areas and a 250-seat auditorium — will go before council.

The regional library board is looking for council to approve the library in principle, and to direct city staff to examine funding options for the expected $42-million project.

Council has not voted on any budget for a new library. However, it included $400,000 in this year’s budget to cover an architectural design competition for the new building.