View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Sure it is, because you are offering the same thing for free that I can rent at Blockbuster or wherever. I'm not arguing against multimedia. And I'm certainly not arguing against audio availability, so let's forget about CDs in this. The library should have the type of DVDs available that are generally not available or hard to find at the rental places. Educational, instructional, cultural, etc. But should they have copies of Seinfeld or Cloverfield or any other sort of mindless pop culture entertainment when the place down the street does the same thing? I think not. Sure it is nice to have that. So are the other things people said they wanted in the report: free parking, free day care, free courses on languages and other areas. But all of those things are already available elsewhere. You just have to buy them. Why should the library be offering them -- not for free, but paid for with taxpayer dollars? The question is, you need to set some limits or otherwise the thing quickly gets way too expensive. The demand for anything "free" quickly becomes infinite. I see few limits in this proposal, and hence a frightening cost number down the road.
By that logic why have a library when we have Chapters?

A library needs to stay relevant and that means not excluding popular choices. It needs to be a mix. Otherwise, to Gloria's dismay no doubt, it truly will be elitist.