View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 7:58 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Its ridiculous. Hamilton Police strictly enforce it too so drivers follow it very closely as well. It's hard to do much more than 90km/h on that stretch.

Red Hills ramp connections to the QEW are also a huge bottleneck for no real discernable reason. For some reason they built the double lane connections towards Niagara even though I'm fairly certain the Toronto bound connections have higher volumes. Those connections need to be double laned. I don't think it would be too difficult, I don't think there would be any structural work required. Perhaps a small land take from the cold storage facility on Van Wagners Beach Rd.

Hamilton is about to initiate an Environmental Assessment to widen the two highways to 6 lanes, perhaps it will be addressed as part of that.
The city is erring on the side of caution re: Red Hill Valley Parkway speed limits, given the slippery-pavement-testing fiasco and the crashes that have been blamed on it (for which the city may have to pay damages; I believe there are lawsuits in play but I'm not sure of their status). Personally I've never thought there was an issue -- when it's wet, drive more carefully.

As with the Linc/403 interchange, which took several years post-Linc-opening to rebuild from the original cloverleaf that was designed for Mohawk Rd., the RHVP/QEW ramps are the province's responsibility. I agree the Toronto-bound ramp should be two lanes all the way to the merge.

With the Centennial Parkway and RHVP and Tesla/Burlington St. interchanges so close to each other this stretch begs for a couple of collector lanes. But it's tight, especially with the wetlands and creek right there, plus VersaCold and the water treatment facilities and other stuff.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Nov 6, 2020 at 9:02 PM.