View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbileblanc View Post
We lived in New Glasgow in the 1950s but used to make several trips to Halifax, at least a full day's drive back then. Coming into Halifax was always along the Bedford shore road, we knew we were getting close when we first smelt the Moir's Chocolate Factory just after leaving Bedford
To get a Ross one had to take a small ferry from downtown Halifax.
On the outskirts of Halifax was a relatively new Simpsons Store. This was a stop we had to make as I was purchasing my first ViewMaster along with three sets of slides.
We did visit Dartmouth to go and see the final departure of the magnificent Lusitania as she was to be scrapped .
There was more, but memory escapes at the moment
Interesting post. I have memories of traveling along the old Route 2 before the 102 was built, but it was so long ago. I recall that the traffic would be jammed on Friday afternoons for everyone getting out of town for the weekend. Also recall the train tracks which pretty much followed the road (they still do) and being thrilled if I happened to be lucky enough to see a train go by, or even better if we paced it for awhile before it lost us.

I also have fond memories of going to the Simpsons store - the original one with the old elevators and vacuum tubes through which orders were submitted to the stock rooms upstairs. I believe the new store had been built by that time and you could access it by escalator, but it didn't have the charm of the old store in my eyes.