View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:40 AM

New Infill Oppourtunity in Downtown, Wells Building Renovations Completed:
Source: Business Journal Daily, The Wells Building

The block of West Federal between Hazel and Chesnut Streets in Downtown has seen a lot of development in the past decade, especially with the arrival of the Youngstown Business Incubator, and new infill projects aimed at the tech industry - the area is called the "Downtown Tech Block." Strollo Architects has recently completed their renovations of the historic Wells Building bringing new office and apartment space (I will cover this more at the end of this post.) Strollo also owns the empty lot next to the Wells Building which has been vacant for a while. It is the last vacant lot on West Federal (excluding parking lots). While adding a parking lot seems to be a safe option, Strollo wishes to try their best to get a new building in this important piece of Downtown land. There is also an oppourtunity to incorporate the former State Theater facade to a new building (only the facade of the theater remains). Though no plans have been made yet, I am hoping that a proper infill building will go in here - it will help extend the streetwall in this up and coming section of Downtown.

Here is the proposed site of the project. The Wells Building is on the left,
the State Theater is on the right:

As for the Wells Building, I'm not sure when renovations were completed, but according to the article, the project has been done for a little while.

The first floor of the building has been converted into office space while the upper floors have been made into 12 apartments of varying sizes. Amenities include: high speed fiber internet, climate controlled storage space, 12 ft. ceilings, and adjacent parking. I can't find photos of the inside, so I will use renderings that I found.

Renderings of the now completed Wells Building apartments:

Photo of the new office space in the Wells Building: