View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2005, 11:55 AM
I have lurking issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride
That article is ridiculous.... Why would anyone only buy American made products just because it's got a sticker of old glory on it? As a smart consumer, everyone should be buying the best quality item for the best value, no matter what country it's made in and that is what determines which company sells the most product. Do you think someone in Japan should only buy products made in their country? If a foreign construction company refused to buy Caterpillar machinery then people in the US working for Caterpillar would be losing their jobs.... It's been proven over and over that free trade among all the countries of the world is what creates compeitition and forces better quality merchandise to be made for the cheapest price possible. It's a win-win for EVERY economy. You can't have a protectionist attitude towards global trade or you will get left behind in economic competitiveness.

Why can't hillbillies understand how a global economy and a free market system work?

Does ANYONE agree with me?
Dude, I agree with you. I won't buy something just because it has a "Made In USA" sticker on it. If I do buy an American auto, it is because it suited my needs, like my truck did, but I don't base my buying decisions on where something was made. If that were the case, I would have no televisions, no DVD players, no VCR, blah blah and so forth.

The American mindset of many is still stuck in the 1970's when the entire country was pounding on the BUY AMERICAN tom tom, and running around slicing the tires on Japanese cars and throwing their Sony products in the river. That's some ig'nunt redneck bullshit that unfortunately, is still in pockets all around the country.

I buy what I need, and like most people I consider price, needs, and my situation when making decisions. I don't give 2 farts in the wind where something was made. Toledo or Toykyo. Evan doesn't care, just give me a good product at a good price and I'm happy.

I am every bit as likely to buy an American product as an imported one IF it suits my needs and my price range, and vice versa, but I won't buy something just because it was made in an American factory by American workers.

This is the real world not a fantasy land. Like I said in my post above, I have no issue with the reliability of American cars these days, but that doesn't mean I am going to run out and buy a shitty base model Chevy just because its American when I can get a shitty base model Toyota for the same and sometimes, even lower price.

There is such a thing as national pride of course, but there is also such a thing as just being a dumbass redneck thinking that if it wasn't made in America, then you don't want it.

Last edited by Evan; Oct 30, 2005 at 12:01 PM.