View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:17 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I'm so glad to see that they are taking a regional approach and having bike stations at CalTrain stations along the Peninsula. I would think that will suddenly make the train a much more viable alternative to many who work on the Peninsula, but drive because it's too long a walk from the station to the office. Plus, there's no need for two separate memberships if you need a big at both ends of the trip. I hope it expands quickly.
Totally. Bike share works best in tandem with good public transportation. I read somewhere that 7% of Caltrain riders take their bikes on board, so there's already a proven demand for bike-transit commutes along the line. Since bumping has been an issue--no more bikes on board this train!--bikesharing stations will really help in solving the "last mile" problem for Caltrain riders in the suburbs who would bike to and from the stations but currently don't want to face the uncertainty of being bumped.

As for SF, I'd like to see more bikes and a bigger geographic area, but this is a good start. SF has been lagging behind other cities on this (and many other bike-related issues) for far too long.