View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That is fascinating stuff. Can't wait to see other cities. Must have taken months to complete.

Just one small omission for the Education development: you din't include La Cité Collégiale projects. The main campus at 801 Aviation has added 2 or 3 buildings in that time period; the new "Excentricité" attached to "H" and "G" opened in September 2018, the extension to building "A" along the Aviation entrance was opened in 2011 if I remember correctly and building "I" was open sometime in the mid-2000s (might be just out of your time frame). La Cité Collégiale's trades campus opened at 8700 Jeanne d'Acrc (near Trim, just north of the 174) in 2010.

https://www.collegelacite.ca/campus.htm

You explained why you did not add transit lines. I was wondering if the same applied to hospital expansions?
That is a good catch with La Cité Collégiale. I will have to fix that in a upcoming revision.

I actually have much of the data in place to add hospitals. The only reason I didn't add them this time is because I couldn't find a suitable colour to represent them, one that had sufficient contrast to the rest. Keep in mind that every city uses the same symbology, and other cities have other typologies that wouldn't be seen on this map (like Vancouver and laneway housing), so the pool of colours is tricky to manage as the data grows.

It did take a while, probably a few months. Ottawa was also my testing ground if you will, and I did a lot of revisions and changes along the way, since I had to figure things out as I went. If I were to go back and do it now, I could probably do it in half the time.

There is one map completed so far for Vancouver, which shows all the laneway housing construction, which you can see by clicking here. Although the imagery used shows development from 2004 - 2018, in reality, these would have only been built from 2009 onward, the year the city changed its regulations on them. In just 9 years 3325 laneway houses were built or under construction as of July 2018. I knew they had grown, and even heard some numbers, but when you consider other factors, such as the fact that all those homes occupy a total of just 0.37 km2 of space, its becoming quite an important trend and typology for the city.

So far every city I have looked has had some real surprises in terms of development trends. The analysis part (quite a bit down the road at this point), should be super interesting as it will be a chance to actually see the effect that various planning policies, and transportation investments, have had across a variety of Canadian cities. In that regards, there is still a lot to unpack in the NCR.