View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 7:55 AM

Quite a few upcoming conventions and trade shows in San Francisco have been cancelled. The hotel/tourist industry is being decimated. My best friend, who works at a major hotel, had his hours basically cut to zero and he is applying for unemployment. I suspect the unemployment office is going to be very busy. I'm not in the city right now but he tells me the major commercial streets are much emptier than usual and businesses are closed or have shortened hours.

Then of course, the news has reported the Grand Princess cruise ship being held off the coast but likely soon to dock in SF. I have not read what they are going to do with the passengers some of whom are going to test positive and others of whom may have been exposed but haven't yet developed a positive test. I doubt the US authorities will emulate the Japanese who have been widely criticized for keeping everybody aboard the Diamond Princess, leading to many additional exposures and some deaths. But the question becomes where will they quarantine the people. The nearest military base, Travis AFB, has already been used and I don't know if it has additional capacity.